Are you an artist looking for a ready-made way to track the time spent in your art business?
Have you ever found yourself at the end of a day and wondered where the hours went?
Do you want to take control of your time so you can see how to grow your art business?
Understanding how you are spending your time is one of the most valuable things you can do to grow your art business.
Time Management for Artists is a great companion to The Goal Wheel for Artists – once you set your goals you need to see how you are spending your time towards attaining them.
I’m “Artist Tara Reed” – a full-time artist and the creator of Time Management for Artists. This isn’t an airy-fairy thought provoking eBook that will leave you with great intentions and little action. This is a time management tool that I have been using for the past three years to hold myself accountable for how I spend my time in my art business. I will give you some background about why I came to love this system, then I will explain how you can use it to your advantage in your own art business – be it new or established.
When used regularly, this system will tell you what your priorities are and it will let you know if you are on track – or maybe why you aren’t as on track as you’d like to be – towards reaching your goals.
This is a way to track how you are spending your time. This ISN’T a way to decide how to spend your time or prioritize your activities.
(Time Management for Artists is a tool to track time – if what you really want is a way to decide what you should be doing, please check out The Goal Wheel for Artists – also by Tara Reed. These two systems will work great together!)
To run a successful art business, there are five main areas in which you spend your time: creating ART, MARKETING your art, SOCIAL MEDIA & ONLINE, CLERICAL activities and OTHER (basically anything that doesn’t quite fit into the four categories.)
By tracking the amount of time you spend in these areas during a day, week, month, quarter or even year, you will get a better idea of why you are or aren’t reaching your goals. Maybe you avoid marketing your work at all costs – preferring to spend time creating art or on social media sites. (Yes – that can be marketing but it can also be a big time-sink!) By seeing the percentage of time spent in each area, you can then adjust your habits to get your business moving in the direct you want it to go.
Time Management for Artists has three components -
a 23 page eBook, 2 Excel files and 4 video tutorials.
The eBook gives you the background and lays the foundation for how to use Time Management for Artists. It has detailed instructions, with lots of screenshots, about how to use the Excel Spreadsheets. If you like to watch and learn, there are four video tutorials that walk you through how to use the Excel Spreadsheets as well. (They are QuickTime videos so the image is clear, even when filling your screen – if you don’t have QuickTime on your computer, Google “QuickTime download” to get the latest version of this free software)
The Excel Spreadsheets You Get Are Set Up and Ready to Go!
You will spend little time each day entering some basic information and the spreadsheets will do the rest. You will see the minutes and hours you work each week and then the percentage of time spent in each area will be calculated for you. Enter some basic numbers into the Monthly Summary and it automatically flows through to the Quarterly and Yearly summaries. As long as you don’t mess with the equations, you be golden!
The cost of Time Management for Artists is only $17.95
I don’t want anyone NOT to buy this tool because of the cost. It took several hours to set up the spreadsheet equations – once I figured out what I wanted to track and how I wanted to see the information. So if your time is worth more than $4/hour – this is a bargain!
If you are serious about your art business and really want to understand how you spend your time and how changes in your behavior can affect your results – you owe it to yourself to commit to try Time Management for Artists and commit to recording how you are spending your work time.
Will Time Management for Artists help me figure out where to spend my time?
- While there is a brief discussion of how to adjust how you spend your time if you aren’t getting the results you hoped for, Time Management for Artists is more of a measurement tool than a way to prioritize activities. if what you really want is a way to decide what you should be doing, please check out The Goal Wheel for Artists - also by Tara Reed. These two systems will work great together!)
What do I need to use the Time Management System for Artists?
- You need Microsoft Excel to use the spreadsheets – if you don’t have Microsoft Excel, please do not purchase this system.
- You also need QuickTime to watch the video tutorials. QuickTime is free – it comes on all Apple computers and is available for free for PCs. Google “QuickTime download for Windows” and find the most recent and relevant version.
Why do I need to make copies of the Excel Spreadsheets?
- Never, ever, ever put your data into the original Excel Spreadsheets. Save these in a folder as templates – always work from a copy. (This is all explained a few times in the eBook) You will need a blank file to create your Daily Time Log each week and if you somehow mess up the equations in any of the Monthly Summaries worksheets, you want the original to refer back to.
If I have Excel, why do I need to buy this at all?
- How many artists really want to spend time figuring out equations and calculations and setting up spreadsheets? For a minimal investment I’ve done all the work for you – all you do is quickly read the eBook and/or watch the short videos and you are ready to roll! With a short learning curve you are on your way to gaining valuable insights about how you spend your time and the return you see for that time in your business.